Farmington was first settled in 1824 by Arthur Power, a Quaker from Farmington, New York. Soon after, in 1825, Dr. Ezekiel Webb established the first Post Office and became Farmington’s first postmaster and physician. The first school was established several years later in 1828. During the time of slavery, Farmington served as a station on the Underground Railroad.
In 1827, Farmington Township was established by the Legislative Council of the Michigan Territory. Farmington was officially incorporated as a village in 1867.
Town meetings were held in a variety of locations until the completion of the Town Hall (now the Masonic Hall) in 1876. Farmington became a home rule city in 1926.
Until the 1950’s, Farmington was considered a small village that primarily served the area’s farming community. During the post-war building boom, people began to move out from Detroit, transforming Farmington into a suburban area. During the late 1960’s, the City annexed 500 acres, which extended the western boundary of the City to Halsted Road.
Today, Farmington is the crossroads community at the heart of south Oakland County. Within a 10 mile radius of Farmington you will find: 383,840 people and 152,631 households, 33% of which have children living at home.
Farmington is identified by its pleasant neighborhoods, a graceful historic district and downtown shopping opportunities. The City strives to preserve and maximize these assets and provide for growth and redevelopment. To provide for growth and redevelopment, the City maintains a Master Plan for the downtown area and is participating in the National Main Street Center Program.